Home Community Explosion in Maddingley

Explosion in Maddingley

SHARE

By Jessica Howard

UPDATE 8:25am
The gas leak located in the vicinity of Osborne Street, Maddingley was identified by authorities at around 10:30pm last night. The situation was rectified and traffic management points were removed.

Residents previously affected have returned to their homes.

The schools affected by the incident will open as usual this morning.

If you are experiencing any symptoms that may be due to chemical or smoke exposure, seek medical advice or call Nurse on Call on 1300 606 024.

Anyone experiencing wheezing, chest tightness and difficulty breathing should call triple zero (000).

Earlier
A teenager has been taken to hospital with serious injuries following an explosion near Osborne Street in Maddingley.

A spokesperson for Ambulance Victoria said the male teenager arrived to Bacchus Marsh Hospital shortly after 1:30pm and was transported to the Alfred Hospital with burn injuries.

While the circumstances of the explosion are yet to be established, a Victoria Police spokesperson said it is believed a gas pipe may have been ruptured, causing a small explosion.

“The incident has led to a secondary explosion on nearby Griffith Street,” the spokesperson said.

“Police are currently evacuating the area as a precaution and street closures are in place. Motorists are urged to avoid the area”.

Providence Nursing Home, Bacchus Marsh Grammar and Bacchus Marsh Secondary College have all been evacuated.

A second male is believed to have been hospitalised after suffering minor injuries.

A male witness, located in Smith Street at the time of the incident, said he heard a series of loud bangs.

“I thought it was an accident at a nearby workshop, only to walk out the front and see the manhole out the front of the cafe on the corner of Smith and Griffith pop up [from pressure],” he said.

Residents have taken to social media to express their concerns, with a Moore Street resident saying the noise of the explosion was “the scariest sound ever”.

“We heard it all the way in Darley,” another resident said.

WorkSafe has been notified of the incident. Fire crews will continue to investigate and monitor the conditions.

For those who have been evacuated, Moorabool Shire Council has opened a relief centre at the Lerdederg Library, 215 Main Street Bacchus Marsh.