By Caitlin Bewley
(2nd Yr Swinburne Uni)
Old habits die hard for a young man caught using his mobile phone whilst driving on a busy Melbourne road.
The Bacchus Marsh Magistrates court heard on Friday 5 April that 22-year-old Michael Donald was travelling west on the West Gate Freeway in Port Melbourne, when he was observed allegedly using his mobile phone whilst driving.
Prosecutor Senior Constable Lisa Schoemaker told the court Donald was observed by police on August 16 last year, his licence was suspended, and he wasn’t displaying P-plates.
When intercepted by police, it was alleged the accused said he “thought he had his licence back” and that using his mobile phone “was out of habit”.
Donald’s lawyer told the court VicRoads had sent Donald a letter before the incident which indicated he was on the ‘Golden Point’.
“You can be on one point for 12-months or give up your licence for three months, it’s very hard these days,” Donald’s lawyer told Magistrate Frank Jones.
“I didn’t even have a car when I was 22,” Magistrate Jones told the accused’s lawyer.
Donald was convicted and fined $800 with an additional cost of $120. Magistrate Jones did not impose any further imposition on his licence.