By Caitlin Bewley
(2nd Yr Swinburne Uni)
Cancelling of all licences due to drug driving didn’t deter a man from attending multiple fast food restaurant drive through lanes.
A 48-year-old man from Bacchus Marsh, Miles Hine, was allegedly travelling east on the Western Freeway on August 20 2018 when he was intercepted by police, the Bacchus Marsh Magistrates Court heard on Friday 26 April.
The accused was unable to produce his licence and failed an oral fluid test, which resulted in the loss of his licence.
Prosecutor Senior Constable Sam Young told the court Hine was intercepted by police in the Melton McDonald’s drive through on September 14 last year after his licence was suspended.
Similar offending reoccurred on October 18 when Hine was intercepted by police in the Bacchus Marsh McDonald’s drive through.
When interviewed by police on this occasion, the accused said he “didn’t want to say anything” and asked if he was under arrest.
The accused’s lawyer told Magistrate Ron Saines that his client was “a man of good character, up until this point”.
Hine was convicted and fined an aggregate sum of $1000, having to pay $124.30 in statuary costs.